I. Features and Functionality
- You must not violate any law or the rights of any individual or entity, and must not expose Facebook or Facebook users to harm or legal liability as determined by us in our sole discretion.
- You must not include functionality that proxies, requests or collects Facebook usernames or passwords.
- You must not circumvent (or claim to circumvent) our intended limitations on core Facebook features and functionality.
- If you offer a service for a user that integrates user data into a physical product (such as a scrapbook or calendar), you must only create a physical product for that user’s personal and non-commercial use.
- If you exceed, or plan to exceed, any of the following thresholds please contact us as you may be subject to additional terms: (>5M MAU) or (>100M API calls per day) or (>50M impressions per day).
- Your website must offer an explicit “Log Out” option that also logs the user out of Facebook.
- Special provisions for apps on Pages:
- a. Apps on Pages must not host media that plays automatically without a user’s interaction.
b. When a user visits your Page, if they have not given explicit permission by authorizing your Facebook app or directly providing information to your Page, you may only use information obtained from us and the user’s interaction with your Page in connection with that Page. For example, although you may use aggregate analytics for your individual Page, you must not combine information from any other sources to customize the user’s experience on your Page and may not use any information about the user’s interaction with your Page in any other context (such as analytics or customization across other Pages or websites).
- You must not use or make derivative use of Facebook icons, or use terms for Facebook features and functionality, if such use could confuse users into thinking that the reference is to Facebook features or functionality.
- You will only request the data you need to operate your application.
- You may cache data you receive through use of the Facebook API in order to improve your application’s user experience, but you should try to keep the data up to date. This permission does not give you any rights to such data.
- A user’s friends’ data can only be used in the context of the user’s experience on your application.
- Subject to certain restrictions, including on transfer, users give you their basic account information when they connect with your application. For all other data obtained through use of the Facebook API, you must obtain explicit consent from the user who provided the data to us before using it for any purpose other than displaying it back to the user on your application.
- You will not directly or indirectly transfer any data you receive from us, including user data or Facebook User IDs, to (or use such data in connection with) any ad network, ad exchange, data broker, or other advertising or monetization related toolset, even if a user consents to such transfer or use. By indirectly we mean you cannot, for example, transfer data to a third party who then transfers the data to an ad network. By any data we mean all data obtained through use of the Facebook API, including aggregate, anonymous or derivative data.
- You will not use Facebook User IDs for any purpose outside your application (e.g., your infrastructure, code, or services necessary to build and run your application). Facebook User IDs may be used with external services that you use to build and run your application, such as a web infrastructure service or a distributed computing platform, but only if those services are necessary to running your application and the service has a contractual obligation with you to keep Facebook User IDs confidential.
- If you need an anonymous unique identifier to share outside your application with third parties such as content partners, advertisers, or ad networks, you must use our mechanism. You must never share this anonymous unique identifier with a data broker, information broker, or any other service that we may define as such under our sole discretion.
- You will not sell any data. If you are acquired by or merge with a third party, you can continue to use user data within your application, but you cannot transfer data outside your application.
- If you stop using Platform or we disable your application, you must delete all data you have received through use of the Facebook API unless: (a) it is basic account information; or (b) you have received explicit consent from the user to retain their data.
- You cannot use a user’s friend list outside of your application, even if a user consents to such use, but you can use connections between users who have both connected to your application.
- You will delete all data you receive from us concerning a user if the user asks you to do so, and will provide an easily accessible mechanism for users to make such a request. We may require you to delete data you receive from the Facebook API if you violate our terms.
- You will not include data you receive from us concerning a user in any advertising creative, even if a user consents to such use.
- You must not give your secret key to another party, unless that party is an agent acting on your behalf as an operator of your application. You are responsible for all activities that occur under your account identifiers.
III. Application Content
- Alcohol-related content (unless the appropriate Demographic Restrictions are used), or sale of tobacco products, ammunition and/or firearms;
- Content that infringes upon the rights of any third party, including intellectual property rights, privacy, publicity or other personal or proprietary right, or that is deceptive or fraudulent;
- Gambling, including without limitation, any online casino, sports books, bingo or poker;
- Illegal activity and/or illegal contests, pyramid schemes, sweepstakes or chain letters; if you run, reference, or facilitate a legally permissible sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion you are subject to Facebook’s Promotions Guidelines;
- Content that is hateful, threatening, defamatory, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You must not include advertisements or promotions, cross-promote other applications, or provide web search functionality in content distributed through Facebook social channels.
- You can only utilize advertising or similar monetization related products or services from companies that appear on this list within Apps on Facebook.com.
A. Prohibited Content – You are responsible for all content of and within your application, including advertisements and user-generated content. You must not promote, or provide content referencing, facilitating, containing or using, the following: B. Advertisements and Cross-Promotions
IV. Application Integration Points
- You must not incentivize users to use (or gate content behind the use of) Facebook social channels, or imply that an incentive is directly tied to the use of our channels.
- You must not pre-fill any of the fields associated with the following products, unless the user manually generated the content earlier in the workflow: Stream stories (user_message parameter for Facebook.streamPublish and FB.Connect.streamPublish, and message parameter for stream.publish), Photos (caption), Videos (description), Notes (title and content), Links (comment), and Jabber/XMPP.
- If a user grants you a publishing permission, you must still obtain consent from the user before taking any action on the user’s behalf, such as publishing content or creating an event.
- You must provide users with an easily identifiable “skip” option whenever you present users with an option to use a Facebook social channel.
- You must not provide users with the option to publish more than one Stream story at a time.
- Platform integrations, including social plugins:
- a. Your advertisements must not include or be paired with any Platform integrations, including social plugins such as the Like button, without our written permission.
b. You must not sell or purchase placement of a Like button or Like box plugin.
c. You must not incentivize users to Like any Page other than your own site or application, and any incentive you provide must be available to new and existing users who Like your Page.
d. You must not obscure or cover elements of our social plugins, such as the Like button or Like box plugin.
- Facebook messaging (i.e., email sent to an @facebook.com address) is designed for communication between users, and not a channel for applications to communicate directly with users.
We can take enforcement action against you and any or all of your applications if we determine in our sole judgment that you or your application violates Platform Policies. Enforcement action can include disabling your application, restricting you and your application’s access to Platform functionality, terminating our agreements with you, or any other action as we in our sole discretion deem appropriate.
We can change these Platform Policies at any time without prior notice as we deem necessary. Your continued use of Platform constitutes acceptance of those changes.
- By “Application” we mean canvas page application, Platform integration, or any other technical integration we have assigned an application identification number.
- By “Facebook social channel” we mean Application Info Section, Application tab, Feed, requests (including invites), inbox attachments, Chat, Bookmarks, or any other feature of a user profile or Facebook communication channel in which or through which an application can provide, display, or deliver content directed at, on behalf of, or by permission of a user.
- By “basic account information” we mean: name, email, gender, birthday, current city, and profile picture URL.
- By “Facebook Platform Terms and Policies” we mean the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and the Platform Policies.
- By “User data you receive from Facebook” we mean any data or content (including any images, text, or other information or materials) you receive from us, that was provided by users to us, or was associated by us with a particular user.